Marta Pontes joined Uría Menéndez in 2004 as a Tax Partner. Prior to joining Uría Menéndez, she worked in a Portuguese law firm and a consultancy firm.
Marta focuses her practice on tax law, and specializes in the following areas:
- Mergers and acquisitions: tax issues concerning the acquisition of companies, mergers and joint ventures.
- Financial products and capital markets: drafting of prospectuses, as well as the tax analysis of resident and non-resident companies.
- International tax planning: foreign investments in Portugal (taxation of non-resident companies and individuals) and Portuguese investments abroad.
- Real estate transactions and project finance: all related tax issues, in particular, the acquisition and transfer of real estate, real estate projects, shopping centers and project finance transactions.
- Tax inspections and disputes: representing clients in tax proceedings, claims and appeals before the Portuguese tax authorities and the Portuguese courts.
Post-Graduation in Tax Law, Instituto Superior de Gestão, Lisbon (2003)
J.D., University of Lisbon (2001)
Bloomberg Tax Management Portfolios
Business Operations in Portugal (Portfolio 977)
This Portfolio contains information to enable U.S. and other foreign investors to understand the commercial and tax law likely to be of concern to them when conducting their operations in Portugal.